Saturday, October 08, 2005

How born-again George became a man on a mission

How born-again George became a man on a mission

Julian Borger in Washington
Friday October 7, 2005
The Guardian


George Bush was born again as an evangelical Christian in 1985 with the help of Billy Graham. But the veteran preacher had a warning for the future president: "Never play God".

As Mr Bush went on from that pivotal moment to be elected Texas governor and win the presidency, fears have occasionally been raised that he has forgotten Mr Graham's admonition.

An account by Palestinian leaders of a 2003 meeting, broadcast by the BBC, reinforces a deepening impression that Mr Bush really does believe himself to be a man of destiny, on "a mission from God".


A 2003 book, The Faith of George W Bush, by a religious author, Stephen Mansfield, recounts several anecdotes about Mr Bush's sense of divine guidance. While he was still weighing up whether to run for the presidency, he apparently confided in a Texan evangelist, James Robinson, that he had a premonition of national tragedy. "I feel like God wants me to run for president. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen," Mr Bush said. "I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."...