Monday, November 01, 2004

Politicking by clicking - Saratogian

Politicking by clicking
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13264503&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6
MATT LEON, The Saratogian
11/01/2004

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- At the crossroads of politics and the Internet lies the promise of new voters and more participation.

And, political organizers say, with one click, the time-consuming tasks of making phone calls and fund raising can be more efficient.

'There's no way I could have done what I'm doing without e-mail,' said Pat Friesen, who is coordinating activities at the Saratoga County Kerry/Edwards headquarters on Beekman Street. 'When I did all the scheduling, I would put it out to my list. I would say, 'OK, here's the slots I need filled.'Ÿ'

Thanks to the Internet, Friesen has charted a course from political newcomer to party organizer in less than a year. Her first foray into politics was a meeting to hear more about Howard Dean, who was contending for the Democratic presidential campaign. When she got home, she checked out his Web site.

'His whole campaign was technology driven,' she said.

With Dean out of the race, Friesen is now using the Internet to support John Kerry. With one e-mail, she can tell her list of 150 to 200 local activists what needs to be done, from calling voters to letter-writing campaigns.....