Sunday, October 31, 2004

FDR's grandson assesses Bush's performance

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6364551/site/newsweek/
What Is a War President?
Franklin D. Roosevelt's grandson assesses George W. Bush's performance
WEB-EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY
By James Roosevelt Jr.
Newsweek
Oct. 29 - Last May, I walked through the magnificent new World War II Memorial that was soon to be dedicated on the National Mall in Washington. The architecture, sculpture and carved quotations were impressive. But it was the faces of the retired veterans and the depth of feeling in the eyes of their wives and widows that was most moving. As I watched them read the words of inspiration from the war's leaders etched into the stone walls, I thought of my father, who served during the war as a Marine in Carlson's Raiders. His father, my grandfather, was making his own contribution: as president of the United States.....