Monday, November 07, 2005

Bush Administration's Moral Compass Is Lost

Bush Administration's Moral Compass Is Lost
By Cathleen Falsani
The Chicago Sun-Times

Friday 04 November 2005

The morning after George W. Bush won his second term in office and many of his Republican colleagues also claimed victory last year, I received an e-mail from one of my dearest friends, Amanda.

It's a note that has haunted me since, a niggling at the back of my mind like an overdue library book or an insult hurled in anger that can't ever be taken back properly.

Amanda is one of the most moral, ethical, intelligent and kind people I know. She also happens to be a Jewish atheist, more or less.

We've known each other since we were teenagers, and the subject of faith - the peculiarity of my born-again-ness and the absence of her faith in any religious way - had been a perennial topic of discussion. I respect her deeply and care about what she thinks, particularly about spiritual matters.

"Help!" was the title of Amanda's e-mail. "I'm sad and angry today," she began. "Given your profession and your personal belief system, I am genuinely hoping you have something to say on this: How can people who claim to be voting on religious and moral values vote for a man who ... "